Friday 5 August 2011

I wasn't going mad after all!

I don't think I've felt 'well' for such a long time'. So tired that I sometimes I couldn't talk. My husband and kids began joking that Mum was always poorly, always had something wrong with her.

Finally, I went to the Dr's because I felt like I was loosing my mind. My body hurt; if I wore new shoes my feet hurt. If my jeans were too tight my waist hurt. I couldn't walk for more than a few minutes. I always needed to go to the loo and when I got really tired I couldn't focus my eyes. Something wasn't right.

My Mum had suffered badly with ME when she was my age and I began to have a terrible suspicion that I had something similar. Although, Mum never had as many different symptoms as I had. Perhaps it was just post-viral fatigure my Dr told me. However, following an array of normal blood tests she finally decided to refer me to Mr Llewellyn at the Royal Gwent Hospital.

I spent and hour and a half with Mr Llewellyn and it was the best hour and a half I've ever spent. Not because he gave me medicine that cured me because he didn't, it doesn't work that way. But he did explain everything to me and I began to understand and eventually cope with Fibromyalgia.

I wasn't going mad after all!

My blog is not intended to offer suggestions for coping with FM, it's just my way of learning to manage it for myself. Sometimes it's quite a lonely place to be and if someone reading my blog can feel less alone and a little less stressed about their own symptoms then that's great! I'll try not to be indulgent and I certainly don't want to wallow in self pity. I just want to share my experience, that's all.

I've got so much to say and I'd love to hear from anyone in a similar situation. Have I mentioned that I'm still working full time? I'm managing my week very carefully and am quite proud of my achievements. I'd love to know how other workers are coping too.

I can't promise to blog regularly as I have to be in the right frame of mind and energy but I'll do my best.

Take care and stay well.

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback