Monday 15 August 2011

Hot Stuff

Todays' blog focuses on temperature control or lack of it.

I used to be cold all the time, my husband used to like the window open all night and never slept under the covers; while I was wrapped in thick pyjamas with the quilt tucked in around me.

But now, I have to have the window open and the fan on high all night. I can't stand the covers over me and only use a cotton sheet.

Recently, my Doctor has taken me off of HRT as I had been on it for 13 years since I had a full hysterectomy, so I'm not sure how much can be attributed to 'the change' and how much is the FM. I suppose it's both.

Sometimes I get wave after wave of flushes and it's always at the most inconvenient time like when I'm with a customer or in the middle of the night. I don't just feel hot; my face and neck go bright red, my palms become clammy and my hands and feet swell up.

What do I do? I've started putting a sheet under the quilt so that I can take the quilt off in the night and as I mentioned I have a fan in the bedroom which is a life saver. My husband also had my wedding ring made one size larger because I couldn't get it on or off.

I also find that I often have a very dry mouth, in fact I stopped taking Chlonidine which my Doctor gave me for the hot flushes because my mouth got so dry my tongue was sore.

I also keep ice cubes in the freezer all the time and drink lots of cold juice.

I need to get myself a small handheld fan and a cool spray to keep handy; they're on my next shopping list.

I'd be reallly interested in anyone elses techniques for keeping cool.

Anyway, bye for now.

Stay well.

Dee






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback