About Me

My photo
Newport, Gwent, United Kingdom
I have to manage my FM very carefully, I am a wife and mum of 3 kids, and I work full time. I have good days and bad. I love learning. This is my experience of Fibromyalgia, I'm not promoting any products, just sharing what helps me.

Monday, 15 August 2011

Hot Stuff

Todays' blog focuses on temperature control or lack of it.

I used to be cold all the time, my husband used to like the window open all night and never slept under the covers; while I was wrapped in thick pyjamas with the quilt tucked in around me.

But now, I have to have the window open and the fan on high all night. I can't stand the covers over me and only use a cotton sheet.

Recently, my Doctor has taken me off of HRT as I had been on it for 13 years since I had a full hysterectomy, so I'm not sure how much can be attributed to 'the change' and how much is the FM. I suppose it's both.

Sometimes I get wave after wave of flushes and it's always at the most inconvenient time like when I'm with a customer or in the middle of the night. I don't just feel hot; my face and neck go bright red, my palms become clammy and my hands and feet swell up.

What do I do? I've started putting a sheet under the quilt so that I can take the quilt off in the night and as I mentioned I have a fan in the bedroom which is a life saver. My husband also had my wedding ring made one size larger because I couldn't get it on or off.

I also find that I often have a very dry mouth, in fact I stopped taking Chlonidine which my Doctor gave me for the hot flushes because my mouth got so dry my tongue was sore.

I also keep ice cubes in the freezer all the time and drink lots of cold juice.

I need to get myself a small handheld fan and a cool spray to keep handy; they're on my next shopping list.

I'd be reallly interested in anyone elses techniques for keeping cool.

Anyway, bye for now.

Stay well.

Dee






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback